Applying to Genomic Sciences
What you will need:
- Personal Statement (you may also include a CV or resume)
- All Transcripts (originals are not required for application purposes)
- TOEFL / IELTS (if international student)
- Three Letters of Recommendation
English Proficiency Requirements
To be eligible for admission to graduate study at NCSU, all non-US citizen applicants (i.e., non-resident aliens and permanent residents) must demonstrate proficiency in the English language at a level necessary to be successful in a graduate program at NC State. This requirement can be met for most applicants in one of the following ways; however, some programs may require additional evidence of English proficiency:
- Provide Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a total score of at least 80 on the Internet-based Test (iBT), and with minimum test scores for each section of:
- Listening 18 points
- Reading 18 points
- Writing 18 points
- Speaking 18 points – for admission, 23 points – for TA appointment where TA has direct verbal interactions with students, 26 points – for TA appointment where TA presents lectures in the class or laboratory NOTE: The current computer- and paper-based versions of the TOEFL test will be given until the iBT version is implemented in a particular location. Computer-based TOEFL scores must be 213 or higher (with at least 17 on three sections and no section score below 13). The paper-based test requires a score of 550 or higher (with scores of 50 on at least two of the three sections and no section score below 45).
- Provide International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores with an overall band score of at least 6.5. Minimum test scores for each section are listed below:
- Listening 6.5
- Reading 6.5
- Writing 6.5
- Speaking 6.5 – for admission, 7.0 – for TA appointment
- Provide Duolingo with a total score of 110 or better.
- be a citizen of a country where English is the official language and the language of instruction in higher education;
- have successfully (cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher) completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a regionally accredited four-year US College or university.
TOEFL or IELTS test scores must be no older than two years (24 months) prior to the beginning of the requested entry term.
The institution code 5496 is the only code needed to report scores to NC State University. If ETS gives you an option to report a test to NCSU undergraduate admissions, select the NCSU Graduate School instead.
How to apply:
To apply to either Bioinformatics or Functional Genomics/Genetics, visit the NC State Graduate School website and fill out the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which degree should I apply for?
We offer five different degrees, MR (non-thesis master’s degree; i.e. no research) and PhD in Bioinformatics, and MR, MS, and PhD in Functional Genomics.
Our Bioinformatics program emphasizes statistical and computational approaches, PhD dissertations would likely involve development of new algorithms for data analysis. While it is possible for our Bioinformatics students to do “wet-lab” work, most of our Bioinformatics students complete their degrees doing only computer work.
Our Functional Genomics program emphasizes a “wet-lab” approach, using technologies that address whole genomes to solve biological problems.
When are applications due by?
Applications are due by January 15th for the following Fall.
Is there a minimum GRE or GPA required?
The GRE is not required, consequently, we do not have a minimum requirement. We do examine the entire application when making a decision as we are looking for a strong record. Deficiencies in one area, however, may be compensated by outstanding achievements in another.
Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS? Is there a minimum score?
If you are not from a country where English is the official language, or have successfully completed at least one year of full time study in a degree program at a four-year US college or university, then you must take an English proficiency test.
The minimum total score for the TOEFL is 80. For IELTS, you must make at least an 6.5 in each of the sections (listening, reading, writing and speaking). Scores maybe no older than two years old.
Do I need to submit my official transcripts? Where?
No, for application purposes you do not have to submit official transcripts. If you are admitted, official transcripts will then be requested.
How much is tuition?
Please see the Cashiers Office website for details.
Do I need to fill out financial aid forms?
No, all applicants are automatically considered for all forms of financial support that they qualify for. In general, financial support is offered primarily to Ph.D. seeking students, however, seeking a Master’s (MR) degree may be appropriate for an industry internship.